Saturday 10 February 2007

Snow!!!!!!!!

Yes that's right, after 2 months of Winter and a Christmas sadly lacking in the white stuff department, it finally snowed all across England last week!! It's apparently quite rare for it to snow these days, particularly over here in the (slightly) warmer South West, so when the weather boffins said we could expect snow overnight on Thursday we were all understandably quite excited.

After an initial disappointing look out the window when I first got up for work, seeing no snow to speak of, I started to get ready for work but was soon called back to the window by Manda to see the white stuff falling quite steadily over our street and slowly building up on the cars and pavement. How exciting!! Driving in snow was quite a new experience for me, and while it proved a bit tricky getting out of our street - being quite a steep uphill road, Beatrice lost traction a few times - once onto the main roads it wasn't too bad, just a little wetter and slower than usual. They send lorries out to put grit and salt down on all the main roads when there's a chance of snow, to stop the snow from settling and help the car tyres grip the road.

So basically I just cruised along to work, grinning stupidly because everything looked so pretty covered in snow. I managed to snap a few photos with my mobile:


It snowed again on Friday, not so much down in Bath but up in Cirencester where I work it was snowing most of the day. I couldn't stop staring out the window, but luckily as it is so rare here I wasn't the only one. Although most people were grumbling about how annoying the snow was and how the roads would be dangerous... while I was just excited about the novelty of seeing my work car park covered in snow!

1 comment:

Brad said...

Well this means it is time for the first "snow ho" for the season.